Thursday, April 24, 2008

DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BEER MILE

bad news and more bad news.
Bad news number 1: my training has taken a turn for the worse, and I am not getting in many runs. Nothing to be overly upset about, but running less means i am probably just maintaining or slightly losing shape, as opposed to progressing.

BAD NEWS #2: 4:15 4:15!!!!!!!!!! 4 stinking 15 and I have been silenced and put into place. What the heck is jack-nut talking about? well, today i had a track workout, so i decided, why not take a couple of beers to the track and see what i can do Half a beer mile in. Is the first 2 laps in 3:10 a realizable goal? I wanted answers. So, on a warm day, i headed to the track and did my warm-up, stretching, and intervals. I had planned to do 8 X 400 on the track, saving the last 2 400's for the practice beer mile. After hammering out the first several pretty good, i decided to cut the number to 7 400's. My times for the first 5: 73,75,77,78,82. I took an extended rest of about 7 minutes between the last 400 and the start of the "half beer mile". The beer i had was in bottles, as i couldnt find cans. I chugged the first one slowly, finishing it in roughly 20-25 seconds. Running the first lap was good and fast.. for the first 200.. then horror set in as the pain set in for the last 200 of the first lap. I managed to painfully chug the 2nd beer, and finished with a total time of 4:15. I have been humiliated. I have been floored. Jack-nut ran his mouth about sub-8:30's and talking about the beer mile as if it was not that big of a deal. The problem is that i learned, or maybe re-learned, that no one ownes the beer mile, the beer mile ownes people. (or at least me). I am not saying nesesarily that i want to take back everything i said about the beer mile, but I am saying that from here on out i will not throw out times, predictions, or whatever else. The beer mile inflicts pain. Pain indeed. Maybe i forgot about that pain. I know no analogy is perfect, but i want to describe how finishing the first lap of the beer mile feels, breathing heavily, with the 3 cans staring you down, knowing you have a LONG way to go. It is much like a 2nd grader picking a fight with the 5th grade bullies on the play ground. the first bully takes the little guy by the ears, throws him to the ground, and maybe knocks the wind out if him. If that was it, it wouldnt be to bad... but then suddenly... the 2nd grader looks up, and sees 3 other bullies waiting their turn to dish out a beating.... and there is no mommy in sight, not even a phone with which to call mommy. The pain will be inflicted.. horrors!!!
Yes, i have been beaten over the head with a 2X4 with just half of a beer mile.
I would have been lucky to finish under 10 or 11 minutes.
The ONLY SLIGHT bit of thing that i can consider "in my favor" was that i was allready slightly tired from the 5 400's previously. anyways, good luck racers, the race is anyones to be had. I do not run the beer mile to win, to break a certain time, or whatever.. i will run the beer mile to find that Steve Cram inside of me, that is bold enough to push through the pain.
gsj

1 comment:

jlowe said...

Listen up you pansy pseudo-Argentine, bravado is the only way to approach the beer mile. Arrogance is your friend; you simply must continue to embrace it lest you go the way of acid-washed jeans. Remember Jackson, sub-10 is still a farce in my book; and you just said that you could have run sub-10 after doing 7 400 repeats. I can't even do the 7 400 repeats. Keep ya head up amigo.