Tuesday, January 8, 2008

new year, new shoes, odd stretching question

so, being 2008 we can all offically say that we are training for a marathon "next year". how is everyone doing?? im ok, havent made huge progress, but have kept a decent base up. I think i need to strengthen my legs some, so hopefully i will be disciplined to do some strength training, or to hop on the bike once a week. I got 2 pairs of new shoes while in dallas (thanks sis for the gift card to sports authority). I got some nike air structures and some mizunos. i figured they will last me a while if i keep swithching them out.
ok, random question i thought about today: anyone (or should i just say this is for micah directly??) ever read or heard anything on whether its better to stretch with our without your running shoes on?? just a curious thought that crossed my mind today.
sj down south

4 comments:

Micah said...

i've always read it's better to stretch a) after you run or b) when your muscles are warm. me, i don't stretch at all before running. i just start slowly.

jlowe said...

I've just recently adopted this no stretching thing. It honestly hasn't bothered me at all. I think it shows how important "warming up" is as opposed to actual stretching. I only stretch afterwards when I feel as though I might be a little tight. I haven't had any problems so far.

Micah said...

well, you can't stretch a cold muscle. you can only tear it. but stretching is very useful, even if not before a run.

iNKa Coy said...

Fill them with oats. Try this old cowboy trick for leather boots: fill your boots with oats, or any grain that swells up when wet.
o Pour in enough water to cover the grain. The grain will swell overnight.
o Clean out the oatmeal. It's probably not a good idea to make breakfast with the leftovers.
o Wear them for a few days as they dry and adjust to your feet.