Monday, August 27, 2007

On shoes

I bought a new pair of shoes last week. Two really... well, actually three, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I bought a pair of shoes for about $20 (discounted from $99 to $69 to $49 and again, what a steal!) and, more importantly, that these shoes don't fit like most of the shoes I normally wear.

What I'm trying to say is that after wearing these shoes for less than 24 hours I had significant foot, shin, calf, and knee pain because these shoes were new and different and because my legs had not been able to adequately adjust to them. Since I've felt this before, specifically due to marathon training, I knew what was happening and knew both what to expect and how to handle the problem. Left unsolved, this would likely have resulted in some sort of lower leg injury. To treat my legs all I had to do was stop wearing the shoes. All this is to say that you, dear reader and runner, are likely to experience this same event in the next 18 months and that some reading ahead (and hopefully helpful advice through discussion) may prevent the occurrence--or at least ignorance of events that leads to overwhelming fear--should you have a similar lower leg injury.

So learn from the links on shoes, ask around (to us or your local running store expert), and learn on your own since an abundance of opinions generally accompanies an abundance of minds.

My general thoughts are these: the way a shoe feels on your foot is often a good indication what the shoe is doing to your foot, stronger legs make for less-injured legs, less shoe makes for stronger legs (though unlike Tigger, I won't fully follow the barefoot man's advice), more pairs of shoes means less chance that your shoes go bad and cause injury, $90 is about as much as a pair of shoes should cost. Of course there's more to finding the right shoe that what I say here just as there's more to understanding what I've learned about shoes and my feet than what I say here.

And eventually my feet will become accustomed to my new shoes. Good thing, too, because they're good looking.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking you shoe shopping soon. $90!!! I usually go for quantity, not quality which usually equals price. I don't like to pay more than $15 for a regular shoe, $39.99 for a "tennis shoe". Make sure Tig gets this note that I need to buy more shoes and pay more for them!